I was lucky enough to visit most famous tech giant – Google at their main headquarters in Mountain View, California – Googleplex. The place is a true geek paradise and it was definitely the most memorable trip of the year. I’ve attended a Google All-Star Summit 2012 with my friend (who is also my co-worker) – Vadim Leontyev.
Here are some of the interesting facts about the campus:
1. All food is free. The only place on the campus where Googlers pay for food is from a vending machines. Here is the price breakdown for the junk food:
- one cent per gram of sugar
- two cents per gram of fat
- four cents per gram of saturated fat
- one dollar per gram of trans fat
– Totally free
– Available 24/7
– Very delicious and there’s a huge variety
– Designed to promote health as well as environmental values (organic, local)
– The healthy food is at eye level and junk food is at the bottom
– They use small plates
2. Google Rents Goats. Yep, that’s right, they rent goats to help cut down the amount of weeds and brush at Google HQ. Google seem to be very kind to environment and as they say its: “A lot cuter to watch than lawn mowers.”
3. Google is Dog Friendly. You can bring your dog to work (but not your cat).
4. Googleplex has a dinosaur. There is a huge T-Rex skeleton which is nicknamed “Stan” after a real dinosaur that was found nearby. You may spot pink flamingos on it occasionally. Funny enough, there are two teams: one puts the flamingos on it and the other one makes sure that flamingos are off the skeleton 🙂
5. “Googleplex” derives from combining “Google” and “complex”. Also “googoloplex” means a gigantic number based on “googol” – 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,
6. A full replica of SpaceShipOne is housed at building 43 at Googleplex. Unfortunately we couldn’t take any pictures from the inside but you can find them online.
7. There is a free Laundry service. Yep, take all your dirty clothes in the morning and leave it to professionals. At the end of your work day – come back and get everything clean.
There are lots more to list, but I think the above facts are my highlights. And finally, here are the photos: